Friday, December 24, 2010

Beer Bread!

So, it's a well-known fact amongst friends and family that I don't drink. That doesn't stop me from enjoying a good, hearty beer bread during the holidays! It's about the easiest bread in the entire world, freaking delicious, plus, the alcohol cooks off in the oven.

So.  Good.

Here's all you need:
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
12 oz. beer

Optional: 1/4 cup of melted butter

You'll want to remember to preheat your oven to 375 - this goes together SUPER FAST so you might as well get that oven goin'. Grease up your loaf pan whatever way you please, be it with cooking spray or butter or ... I don't know, something else that greases up real nice so you can get the loaf out again.

Mix together the dry ingredients (if you want, you can reduce the sugar by half). Add the beer. Mix again until the dough is thick and moist throughout, then pour it into your greased up pan. If you want, go ahead and pour the melted butter over the top, since it'll make the crust nice and crispy.

One nice thing about this bread: mix-ins are SUPER EASY. I like cheese. I've heard of other people doing various herbs. It's great as-is, but feel free to get creative and let your heart be your guide or whatever.

I used 12 oz of Goose Island 312 for the loaf I made tonight. No pictures, unfortunately. It's already pretty demolished. Soooo good. I had it alongside a weird chickpea/romanesco/chili thing I made tonight (and used some more of the 312 to deglaze the pan for an impromptu sauce).

I'll see about posting some kind of pictures/recipe for the main dish once I've got it perfected. It was delightfully spicy. I just got some red chili paste at the Korean market this afternoon, and I'm way too excited to abuse it.

No comments:

Post a Comment